Tuesday 18 December 2012

BEDID - Day 18 - The Gay BFF


Got a question or topic you want to see blogged in December? Email me or post it here.

I've gotta say, I've really enjoyed writing these Blog-Everyday-In-December posts. I've covered a lot of topics I didn't get around to during the busy semester, so I'm really glad I've gotten the chance to make up for lost time. And since we're more than halfway through the month, please don't hesitate to ask any questions about what I've written. Use the links above!

Anyhoo, one of the ways I've accepted being gay is taking on the role of Gay BFF for my straight female friends. And there's a few basic duties that I take on as Gay BFF for my girlfriends, which includes checking out other dudes and reaffirming their assessments (or not). It's a lot like what straight guys do with their buddies, my girlfriends and I point out cute guys with each other and size up their, uh, assets. It first started with Lindsay, since apparently we both like to objectify guys like that, checking out dudes in coffee shops and while stuck in traffic. After I came out to my friend Veronica, her, Lindsay and I spent a good hour or so giving ratings to dudes on tapthatguy.com. And it's only expanded to other friends and more frequently from there =P Sorry hot straight dudes of the world, gotta even out the world somehow.

Being a Gay BFF also means being a shoulder-to-cry on and offer the guys' perspective on everything. I'm trusted to hear about all the fun things guys try to do to try and impress my girlfriends' and offer reasons why guys say and do certain things to annoy them. I've also given breakup advice, even though I have no experience in that arena myself =P Not to say that they couldn't trust me before (I've been told I have this soothing, trustworthiness to me), but I'm finding I've gotten to hear more about these sort of incidents ever since I've come out, and I'm more than happy to oblige with my help.

I also make sure to compliment my girlfriends' appearance. A bit of a throwback to a question from Ethan, as a masc dude, it can get awkward for those unknowing. For example, yesterday after playing volleyball I was admiring the cute short shorts Veronica was wearing. Being newly single, Veronica and I have been jokingly going after "trophy boyfriend/girlfriend" status with each other by doing something nice for one another. So, after we were done playing, I made a comment to Veronica: "May I say how nice your legs look in those shorts..." (I'm going for awkward-cute here guys!). She looked at me with this shy,embarrassed, look of disbelief that I said that, so I just smiled and responded "Awwww, you're so cute!" Finally, she smirked at me and added "Still aiming to be that 'trophy boyfriend', aren't you?" It was then that one of the other guys sitting on the ground next to us piped in with a "You guys are gross." The two of us just exchanged glances and laughed. I probably sounded like a huge sleazeball, but being okay with this whole gay thing, I can make those comments and not really give a damn, because both Veronica and I know the innocence behind them, even when others don't.

So yeah, embrace my inner gay, have fun with my girlfriends. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment