Friday 14 December 2012

BEDID - Day 14 - You Ask, I Tell Part 3


Got a question or topic you want to see blogged in December? Email me or post it here.


Hey guys! Back from a short hiatus with a couple more Q&As...


Question from Ethan:

Have you ever been caught in an moment where the person catching you out takes the situation out of context and the moment has become awkward and/or embarrassing?

First off, I have this problem with getting lost in the moment, and I don’t realize that things are awkward or embarrassing until afterwards when I’ve reflected on it or talked to somebody about it. So there could be plenty of moments that have been super awkward that I just haven’t picked up on.  

One of the ways I know I must give off somewhat of a masculine vibe is that I get mistaken for my female friends’ boyfriend pretty frequently. I’ve had people ask me how long I’ve been dating. Other times, a friend will come up to me a few days after a get-together and tell me rather embarrassedly that a girlfriend of hers asked what her “boyfriend” (my) name was again. Although, it doesn’t really bother me...It’s terrible, but I get a sort of sick pleasure out of nonchalantly correcting people (about my “girlfriends”, sexuality, ethnicity, etc) and watching their horror or embarrassment cross their face when they realize their mistake.

I’m also (and Cara and Nate for that matter) that someone will take our playing around the wrong way. Cara and I are both touchy-feely types, so we’re always hugging each other, wrapping around each other’s arms or leaning our heads on each other. Someone’s bound to think we’re together, or worse, that I’m poaching my buddy’s girlfriend. That would be hella awkward.   

I don’t think I’ve answered your question very well so far, but the closest thing I can think of, ironically, had to do with Nate and Cara. We were hanging out in Nate’s basement one night just watching TV, etc, when Cara and I, being the touchy-feely people we are, randomly decided to start tickling Nate. Eventually, it got to a point where Cara and I pinned Nate down and were tickling him, when from behind us we heard an “Ummm…hi guys”. His MOM was standing there staring at us. Now, this is a woman that will come downstairs in the middle of the night to check and make sure the two of them aren’t having sex. You can only imagine how awkward it was for her to catch us in such an awkward position.



Also from Ethan:


If you could visit any country/ies, which five would you visit and why?

I know I’m sort of cheating by clumping a few countries all together, but I’d imagine I’d visit a bunch of these countries in one trip.

South America – I’d like to do a Brazil/Argentina/Chile/Uruguay – It would be awesome to visit Rio, experience Carnival and hit the beach. A tour of the rainforest would be awesome as well, and I’d love to do some hiking or learn to ski in the Andes. Maybe enjoy a steak and bullfight in Buenos Aires? I know it’s in Peru, but I’d also like to go see Machu Pichu as well?

Middle East/Mediterranean – Like Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Greece.  I’m also just a fan of the food in that area in general, and it would be awesome to get a taste of the authentic stuff. I hear Tel Aviv has a pretty interesting culture to it. Besides that, I’d like to go see the historical places like the Parthenon, etc. There’s just so much history behind that area I just want to go see.  Unfortunately, that same history is probably responsible for all the turmoil in that area that’ll put this trip on hold for a while…

Eastern bloc – I’m kind of enamoured with the story and spookiness of Pripyat (the town next to the Chernobyl nuclear plant) and other Cold War era history. I’d like to experience the culture in some of the bigger cities, like Kiev or Prague. I also hear there are a lot of beautiful areas and beaches in Croatia and the Czech Republic that I’d also go like to see.  

North Korea – I know this sounds absolutely crazy and dangerous, and this one I don’t know if I’d ever actually DO in my lifetime, but apparently North Korea’s quite open to tourism. They have their own state-run tourism country that takes you to some very elaborate and scripted sites. It just sounds so bizarre; I kind of want to go see the charade for myself. Check out this blog to see what I’m talking about. From a political standpoint though, especially after the “satellite” issues this week, I’m not sure how I feel about putting any sort of money into a country where activities like that (and worse) are going on. 

Western Europe – I can’t see myself NOT doing France/Germany/The UK at some point in my life. Germany especially, I’d like to go explore those old castles and enjoy the countryside. And of course, I’d want to do the car things like go see a Porsche being made and visit the Nurburgring. In France, I’d like to go see Normandy and the WWII history, as well as explore Paris and see the Eiffel tower and such. And of course, I’d love to go see London and see your typical sites like Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, etc.

 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog man. Keep up the great writing.

    GDUSA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Nurnburgring when we drove by some weeks ago when we went to Germany with Stof's sister and her husband. Unfortunately there was no driving going on, but it seems spectacular. Her hubby has driven on it before with is bike.

    ReplyDelete