Wednesday 7 March 2012

Out On Campus...

...is the name of my school’s LGBT centre, which I decided to visit yesterday. It’s something I’ve wanted to do even before I was out, and now that some of my closest friends and family know, I didn’t feel so constrained that they needed to know first before I started to reach out and participate in the LGBT community. That didn’t mean I wasn’t nervous walking in there though. Thoughts running through my head before I went in included:

  • Who would I meet?
  • What would I say?
  • Was I going to say something offensive?
  • What if a classmate saw me?
  •  What if one of my close friends that goes to this same school found out by seeing me?

All of which turned out to be ridiculous, because both the space and all the people were pretty chill. The centre itself didn’t look any different than a faculty or student association lounge, aside from a couple rainbow flags and gay themed posters. And any fears I had before sort of melted away as I met and started to chat with some of the people hanging out there. When I first got there, I introduced myself to the one girl lounging on the sofa and she walked me through the facilities and the massive library of books and dvds available. Afterwards, we started to chat about her volunteering at the centre (she’s new this semester) and events going on this semester (Queer Awareness Week starting Monday...hmmm...). I’ll point out again that I didn’t really know what to expect, but I wasn’t sure how much I or other people in the centre would be talking about their sexuality or gender. So colour me a little surprised when most conversation consisted of usual student talk about class, profs, majors and rez with some talk about work, hobbies and the weather (which has been AMAZING for once). The only really “gay” conversation I had during that time was with a couple guys about using Grindr as a medium for making friends (umm...). In the entire hour and a half I hung out there, probably about 10 or so people passed in and out, and each were super friendly and made it a point to welcome me to the centre when they found out I was new. Looking back on it, I feel really silly being so worried about everything...I really should be giving people more credit in being non-judgemental and friendly. But hey, it’s experiences like these that are fixing those negative thought processes. I’ll probably be heading back tomorrow for a bit when I’m on campus again. :)

 Found this on Google. Go Canada!
    
In other news, I signed up for the rock climbing class I casually mentioned in my last post. It’s a collaboration between a local men’s health clinic and a LGBT climbing group here in the city. I’ve done rock climbing a couple times in the past and enjoyed it, so I figured this and the Out on Campus visit, might be a good way of relieving stress and meeting some guys and making friends. And maybe even Mr. Right, but I’m not holding my breath. I’m really excited for it, so Friday, I’m going to be “putting my hands around something hard” and “sticking my fingers into a tight crack” (what, that was part of the class description! Seriously!). 

Anyway, take it easy and be yourselves guys. Later!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, those are some big steps there! LOL at the class description. Don't forget to cover your hands with that white stuff. You know, that chalk powder stuff that improves your grip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going well! I'm happy for you. I've always wanted to try rock climbing; I've done some indoor work but never out in the mountains or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You really sound like a happy man!

    About the LGBT centre, I was having second thoughts about going too at first (I even postponed it for like two years before going) but had really the time off my life there. It's where I really learned to be myself and to enjoy my student life (and find my bf), I guess like straight students do by regular activities and parties.

    And indeed lol about that discription. I like that twisted humor of the LGBT community, it makes you put 'it' in the right perspective and see 'it' not as a problem.

    And I'm really jealous about the rock climbing class. Enjoy it man! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete