Sunday 11 March 2012

Egoboosts and Other Random Stuff

Quick halfway-through-the-weekend update:

Rock climbing was alright. It wasn’t so much a class as much as it was a group of gay guys getting together to try out climbing for the first time. It was a little chaotic, since there was both our group and another large group in the gym at the same time, so it made it a little difficult to socialize. People were coming in late, and being split off into groups, so with the amount of people there, it was hard to tell who was with what group and what was going on. I think a good half of our group left for dinner part way through and the rest of us didn’t even notice, which was a little disappointing, since it would have been nice to get to know some of them. Despite that, I did get to chat a bit and flex those social skills with the guy I was paired up with and a few others who stuck around. My arms are killing me though...

I also went for coffee with Nate and Brian tonight, pretty tame stuff until we got on to the topic of gay bars and getting hit on. Apparently Nate’s close cousin, who is gay, is planning to head out to a local gay club for his birthday in a couple weeks. Nate, being a good cousin, agreed to go along, but as a straight guy, he isn’t really comfortable going to a gay club with a bunch of people he doesn’t know. His plan is to take his girlfriend with him, but he jokingly asked Brian and I if we’d go. Well, it was jokingly until Brian and Nate started discussing their curiosities about being hit on. They’re tired of making all the advances and for an egoboost, they’re semi-willing to give the gay club a go. Their suggested plan is this: the three of us stand at a table. Two of us throw our arms around each other and pretend like we’re a couple, and see how much attention the third gets. They call it a “social experiment”, I call it them being a bunch of attention whores, but whatever. I have my doubts that we’ll even go, but I might be down for the opportunity to try and pick up dudes.

As for tomorrow (today I guess now), I’m heading out on a hike with Nate, his girlfriend and her twin sister as part of a New Year’s resolution pact we made to do a hike every week. They were part of that group of girls Danny tried to set us up with back in October, which I guess had mixed success, but regardless the four of us have become pretty close friends. So I’m making it my goal to try and come out to the twins tomorrow, before they try to set me up with a girl (which it sounds like they’re planning to) or there’s any more awkward conversations (“So, Matt, what’s your pickup line for getting the ladies?” Uhhhhhh...). Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

7 comments:

  1. There are straight people, even couples, who go to gay bars - there was a time there were more straight females in our club than gays. Seems they are tired of being hit on by drunk dudes.

    Propose your own social experiment - they have to hold hands while there! Why should your fun be limited!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real social experiment would be they have to follow the same social conventions gays do in straight bars. They can't act "straight", they can't come out as straight or pick up the opposite sex!

    Go out, have some fun, shake your booty...if all else fails maybe you can get a dance with Nate and Brian....maybe lead them into the light....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I doubt that they'd go through with any sort of social experiment at a gay bar (including their own), and quite frankly, I hope they don't. It's sort of silly to try and be something you're not. :)

      As for leading them into the light...no thanks. They're the closest thing I have to brothers, and it grosses me out in the same way thinking about hooking up with a sibling would. Ick.

      Delete
    2. I might tease on the social experiment, but I don't like to play with other peoples feelings. My luck is the other guy would be a possible date.

      And I only said "dance" - you'd dance with your sister or mother, wouldn't you? lol Anything further is a line I never cross...friends or coworkers, spell disaster.....

      Delete
  3. Glad you did the rock climbing. You going to stick with it?
    I think the gay club would be a good experience, especially if your two friends go too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might stick with it...I know where and when they meet, so I might try again and see if I truly like it once the semester's over.

      Delete
  4. "Never the 'twain shall meet" .... or something like that.
    After I came out to my friends, there was a definite period of time where I felt compelled to share with them my new found sense of freedom. This included inviting them to clubs and dinners in what I would call "gayer" establishments.

    Ultimately, I decided, sensed that they were being good friends, but that was not a part of their life or their lifestyle.

    I'm about 10 years old than you. Perhaps your generation is more open. But somehow I can't see it ever go that far.

    My relationships with my "straight" friends continue - but we are going our different ways. That's a part of the fabric of life.

    ReplyDelete