Thursday 16 February 2012

Bro-Date

As a much needed break from writing papers, I went out for dinner with Brian last night. Nate was supposed to join us, but flaked on us for his girlfriend, so instead he decided to text and tease us all night about our “bro-date” (Hence the title.)

Whatever you want to call it, it was a lot of fun, mainly because I got to be honest about things that I’ve wanted to discuss since I came out to him and Nate (or anyone else for that matter). Like how hot I find his girlfriend’s cute blond friend. “Yeah, he is kind of hot, isn’t he?” “Yup, and I’m glad you agree bro.” A little bit of a downer though, because Brian went on to tell me a few stories about this guy goofing around with him and his girlfriend, so I’m losing faith that he’s being anything more than friendly when I see him. Oh well, a guy can hope...

There was a bit of a pause after we stopped talking about cute blond guy. “Hmmm...some things don’t change, do they?” Brian noted. He was talking about my thing for blonds/sandy blonds, since I had told him before that that’s one of the things I had been attracted to in girls. And then I had a “Matt-moment” and said something ridiculous like “You know, my taste in guys isn’t really much different than that from girls...light coloured hair, nice chest...except masculine...but I guess that’s the defining feature between guys and girls, isn’t it?” Brian just chuckled and worded it a bit better: “you mean just more butch and muscular and with a penis” Yeah, sounds about right.


 Cute like this would be nice.

I guess I was (and maybe still am) on a bit of a high that Brian was completely willing to talk and gossip about my gay side. In fact, he was the one to ASK ME which guy I had a crush on high school. *Side note: the answer was none, since I was in too much denial back then to crush on a guy, but I did tell him who I would have hypothetically crushed on and listed off a couple guys I remember being pretty hot for good measure. Anyway, I’m glad that he was so responsive and pretty enthusiastic to talk about that kind of stuff. I was always worried about things being awkward with The Guys after they found out about me being gay and having to avoid topics like dating or crushes or attractions because they didn't want to hear it or they felt uncomfortable talking about it, so it was encouraging to hear Brian ask the questions and discuss those topics like nothing had changed and it was perfectly normal.

To top it all off, I was telling my sister about my night while I was driving her home from the bus station. She was pretty pleased and happy for me that I could talk to my friends about all this. And being the wise-ass that she is, she reminded me that “As your SISTER, I have the LEAST vested interest in your sexuality, so don’t be afraid to talk to me about it.” Heh, thanks sis.

I got really lucky with my friends and family...I'm glad I have them. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time. It's nice to have friends you can talk openly to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got an amazing friend, I like that Brian. Have a good time buddy!

    btw, the guy in the pic indeed is cute ;-)

    ReplyDelete