Tuesday 15 November 2011

Busy Bee

I’ve been meaning to post about counselling last week, but there was a lot to digest and a lot of writing and re-writing going on as a result, so that’s still a work in progress. I’ve been keeping myself distracted with other things this week though.

I’ll start off with some slightly frivolous stuff. Over the weekend, I picked up my first video game in a while, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. I haven’t played it too much yet, but I loved the first two, quirky storylines and all. Plus, there’s something rewarding about platformers (and falling from heights and failing!). Speaking of platformers, I’m also stoked for wall-climbing this weekend with Nate and a couple of the girls we met. I might be afraid of heights, but I actually enjoy wall-climbing a lot. It’s rewarding to struggle and push yourself to keep climbing and climbing till you FINALLY manage to tap the top of the wall. Unlike Uncharted though, it’s not quite so much fun to fall and fail...

Also, I enrolled for courses for January this week, and I’m going back to school FOR REAL this time. It’s been an enlightening break, living in the “real”, working world for a few months, but I need to get back and finish my degree. For what it’s worth, I’m a sociology major, and I’ll be taking 2 courses, one of which is a sociology of info tech course (sociology of facebook, anyone?) which I’m kinda stoked for. I’m a little nervous though, because I’ll have been out of school for 7 months by the time I get back into the lecture hall and I’m hoping I haven’t lost all my study habits (like riding a bike, right?), but I’m taking it slow with 2 courses and easing myself back into things. I’m going to be filling the rest of my time volunteering and getting ready to do another work semester during the summer, so I won’t be completely bored/lazy anyway.

Lately I’ve also been looking into some of the local LGBTQ resources, just for shits and giggles. Being back on campus, I’m sort of tempted to go check out our LGBTQ centre, just to see what it’s like and how it works, and maybe meet some people face to face going through the same thing. I also found Qmunity here in Vancouver that offers, amongst other resources, a couple workshops like the coming-out group and bi support group, which sounded interesting.  Maybe in time though, I’d like to be out to a few more people before I go about attending meetings and support groups; being all deceptive about counselling is hard enough and it’d be great to talk to friends and family about what I’d actually get out of these things. But I’m glad organizations and resources like these exist though so they’re there when I’m ready. Eventually, I think it’d be really rewarding to volunteer or something with something like Qmunity and get more involved with the LGBTQ community. Maybe it’ll even help me figure myself out a bit? One step at a time though, one step at a time... 

All for now...

-Matt

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great, good for you for thinking about getting involved on campus and in the community. Hope it works out!

    As for Sociology of Info Tech . . . what about the sociology of the blogosphere :-)

    ReplyDelete